Sunday, August 21, 2011

wear Anna topi to work



I am wearing Anna topi to work for last 3 days. I thought why not. When people wear baseball cap, tennis cap, hats, yarmulke (jewish cap) and other ready-made caps with messages, why shouldn't I try wearing a most visible attire of Anna.

So I wear topi in train, at work, shopping, get-togather, everywhere.

Few comments:
1. many desi colleagues (whom I have never talked earlier) came to me and liked this way of showing solidarity and said they support Anna. I feel it created direct visibility for Anna's cause.
2. many non-desi (white, russian, chinese) colleagues stopped by and said they liked the topi. Initial comments were "is it some festival" or "is it a navy cap". Few recognized it as "nehru topi" or "gandhi topi". I explained them about my reason of showing solidarity with Anna and anti-corruption movement going on in India right now. Few got curious about who is Anna and were surprised that even non-violence methods such as "fasting" can be so successful. They asked for some reading material on Anna and I gave them some web links to read. Two white colleagues offered to buy Gandhi topi.

One white guy asked me, who wears this topi in India and why other indians are not wearing it now?

I also feel that wearing topi is 100 times more effective than talking about Anna or Jan Lokpal bill.

I feel strong when I wear the topi. "I am Anna"., "You are Anna", "We are Anna".

No comments: